?

Community Announcement: Please Read and Vote - The HP Meta List

About Community Announcement: Please Read and Vote

Previous Entry Community Announcement: Please Read and Vote Feb. 9th, 2004 @ 09:10 pm Next Entry
All right, I've been thinking about how best to get this community working. I was going to post this earlier this week, but I thought it might be best to figure everything out, the details and offer up a poll; I'll get more responses that way.

I'm thinking a week might be a little tight for most people to write an essay that they're happy with. So, I've revamped things a bit.

As usual every Tuesday a topic will come out, and instead of a single week to write on it, we'll have two weeks. There will be a week overlap of topics though. That way there will still be post every week with links (hopefully) and will give people more time to fit in their essay writing time.

Also, due to some confusion for which I'm entirely to blame, I've decided to make a 48 hour window for posting your responses. Posting starts on Monday EST and ends Wednesday EST. If you are confused about this, please contact me and I will explain.

If I ever miss your entry, either because it's friends-locked and you don't have me listed as such, or I just didn't see it when scanning the members pages, or you are just posting sporadically, then just leave the link in the appropriate links post. (Any other post will do as well if you are pressed for time, but please tell me which topic it is for.)

POLL: Yea or Nay?

Poll #246247 Yea or Nay?

Yea or Nay?

Yes.
12(85.7%)
No. Keep as is.
0(0.0%)
No. Something else (explain in comment)
2(14.3%)

---

Please bear with me while I try to get this community into a form where everyone can participate and enjoy. Thank you. ~DragonLight
Leave a comment
[User Picture Icon]
From:darkkitten1
Date:February 9th, 2004 06:14 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I think that sounds like a great idea. A week is just too short for me I think. Can you post reminders every week of the active topics, in case we forget by week 2 what we were going to write on? Because my brain is sieve-like, that way.
[User Picture Icon]
From:lily403
Date:February 9th, 2004 06:22 pm (UTC)
(Link)
My Essay for the Week

Am I too late? *prays not*
[User Picture Icon]
From:permetaform
Date:February 9th, 2004 07:16 pm (UTC)
(Link)
What about a system where ALL topics, once opened, are fair game forever? But it's just that, for that particular week, they're gonna get recognition? (like how in theatrical_muse they have character response questions and people usually answer the current one, but older ones could be revisited?)
[User Picture Icon]
From:saeva
Date:February 9th, 2004 07:49 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Hmm. From what I know about how I write essays and about how my friends who write essays for fun write them, I don't really see it as a time constraint problem. In some cases, it may be. But mostly, I see it as an inspiration problem.

This comes in two parts:

1. The topic doesn't interest/inspired/mean anything to them. Just as you wouldn't write or read a fic about Draco if you only liked MWPP Gryffindors, you're not going to write an essay either.

For example, I could have a year to write an essay on Hermione and it would never get done (in fact, I've had an essay idea on her for five or six months now, but I've never sat down and wrote it). Writing on her doesn't inspire me to actually do it.

This is fairly unavoidable, of course, and I think the only way you could fix it (and still not eliminate it) is by having two very different (different areas of study, different eras, different houses/personality tendencies) topics running at once.

2. The topic is too broad.

Now, this isn't personally a problem I generally have at all, but a great, great many people, I notice, would be able to, if told to do so, write a hundred or two hundred words about a "triangle"; however, if told to write a hundred or two hundred words about "shapes" they would have no idea where to begin and therefore would not be able to do it.

The solution to this is fairly simple: Add questions to the topic.

For example, with Hermione:

What motivations Hermione as a student?

What is Hermione's role within the trio and how does that effect her personality? Addition: How does Hermione's role within the trio continuing changing?

Hermione and other women: discuss her relationships with other women in the series such as Ginny, Molly, McGonagall, and Luna.

Hermione as Heroine. How does she fit on a hero(ine)'s journey?

Hermione as a Muggleborn. How does having grown up entirely in the Muggle world effect her view of and actions at Hogwarts?

These are all just off the top of my head and I'm certain, if pressed, I could come up with many more. I may be wrong but I presume that many people here had English educations not unlike my own in which they were often offered a list of topics on a particular book/character/theme and had to choose one (or create their own) to do the essay on. Rarely, if ever, could myself and my classmates not find one item on that list we'd actually like to talk about, or something on the list might spurn our own idea. Etc.

Those are my suggestions, at least.

- Andrea.
[User Picture Icon]
From:cursive
Date:February 9th, 2004 11:15 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I would love to participate, and of course I mean to, but time is really tight for me at present. Perhaps a fortnight would be more feasible, but it's really a matter of setting aside some time and not having anything else get in the way. I like darkitten's idea of a reminder, if it's not too much of a burden for you.
(Leave a comment)
Top of Page Powered by LiveJournal.com